©2012r. Sanjeev Dewra*; R. S. Kaler**, Dr.
* Shaheed Bhagat Singh State Technical Campus-Ferozepur, Punjab, India
** Thapar University-Patiala, India
In this paper, the transmission performance of 4x10 Gbps wavelength division multiplexing system using optical cross add and drop multiplexer (OXADM) with 0.1 nm channel spacing has been demonstrated and the effect of insertion loss, attenuation and crosstalk has been investigated. It is found that the signal can be transmitted with acceptable BER up to 85 km without amplification at insertion loss 6dB with an attenuation of 50 dB. In addition, it is also observed that the system provides acceptable performance with maximum crosstalk of -35 dB at an insertion loss of 70 dB and 6 dB attenuation for the same distance. We show improvement in transmission distance at high bit rates and reduced channel spacing.
Key words: Optical Cross Add and Drop Multiplexer (OXADM), BER, Crosstalk, Insertion loss, Attenuation
OCIS Codes: 060.2330, 060.2360.
1. Mohammad Syuhaimi Ab-Rahman. The OSNR Study on Optical Cross Add and Drop Multiplexer (OXADM): with Limitation Highlight, the Fourth Advanced International Conference on Telecommunications. IEEE. 2008. P.413-419.
2. Caraglia C., Haffaouz S., Zantvoort J.V., Leijtens X., Smit M. A Photonic Integrated Add-Drop Multiplexing for a 1.6 Tbits/s Optical Ring Network, Proceeding Symposium IEEE/LEOS Benelux Chapter, Enshede. 2003. P.69-72.
3. Amit Kumar Garg, Kaler R. S. A novel optical burst switching architecture for high speed Networks. Chinese Optics Letters. 2008. V. 06. № 11. P. 807-811.
4. Mahiuddin M., Islam M. S. Analysis of Performance Limitations in Fiber Bragg Grating Based Optical Add-Drop Multiplexer due to Crosstalk. Journal of networks. 2012. V. 7. № 3. P. 450-455.
5. Shien-Kuei Liaw, Keang-Po Ho, Lian K. Chen, Frank Tong and Sien Chi. High-Dynamic-Range Optical Cross-Connect Device using Fiber Bragg Gratings. IEEE Photonics Technology Letters. 1999. V. 11. № 8. P. 1054-1056.
6. Tzanakaki A., Zacharopoulus I., Tomkos I. Optical add/drop multiplexers and optical cross-connects for wavelength routed network, ICTON. 2003. P. 41-46.
7. Kaler R.S., Kamal T.S., Ajay K. Sharma. Simulation Results for DWDM Systems with Ultra-High Capacity. J. Fiber and Integrated Optics. 2002. № 21. P. 361-369.
8. Mohammad Syuhaimi Ab-Rahman and Mohd Hazwan Harun. Restoration Scheme in Optical Cross Add and Drop Multiplexer (OXADM) Device — The Transparency Test, Aust. J. Basic &Appl. Sci. 2011. V. 5. № 10. P. 165-173.
9. Mohammad Syuhaimi Ab-Rahman, Ashrani A. Abd. Rahni, Mohd Saiful Dzulkefly Zan, Kasmiran Jumari, Sahbu-din Shaari and Mohd Faisal Ibrahim. OXADMs: The Next Generation of Optical Switching Devices, IEEE. 2008.
10. Y. Shen, K. Lu & W. Gu. Coherent and Incoherent Crosstalk in WDM Optical Networks. J. Lightwave Technology. 1999. V. 17. № 5. P. 759-764.
11. Muhammad Syuhaimi Bin Ab-Rahman. Abang Anuar Ehsan, Hayati Husin and Sahbudin Shaari. Analytical Modeling of Optical Cross Add and Drop Multiplexing Switch, ICSE Proc. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. 2006. P. 290-293.
12. Mohammad Syuhaimi Ab-Rahman. Survivability Schemes in Optical Cross Add and Drop Multiplexer. ICACT. 2008. № 2. P. 17-20.