Performance Evaluation of Optical Add Drop Multiplexers with Mach-Zehnder interferometer Techniques for Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexed System
© 2013 г. Sanjeev Dewra*; R. S. Kaler**, Dr.
* Shaheed Bhagat Singh State Technical Campus-Ferozepur, Punjab, India
** Thapar University-Patiala, India
We evaluate the three Mach-Zehnder interferometer (MZI) techniques of optical add drop multiplexer for DWDM system and investigate the impact of crosstalk obtained at 8 x 10 Gbps with 0.1 nm channel spacing. The Dense wavelength division multiplexing (DWDM) transmission with optical add drop multiplexer (OADM) placed at the 35 km point of a 70 km link has been demonstrated. It is also observed that Mach-Zehnder interferometer-Fiber Bragg Grating (MZI-FBG) based OADM and MZI based OADM provide better results with maximum covered distance (150 km) at channel spacing of 0.1 nm and bit rate of 10 Gbps without using Dispersion Compensating Fiber (DCF) and amplifier and the worst case is found with the Mach-Zehnder interferometer-Semiconductor optical amplifier (MZI-SOA) based OADM. It is also found that the MZI Based OADM is cost effective as compared to MZI-SOA and MZI-FBG Based OADM.
Keywords: Optical Add Drop Multiplexer, Bit error rate (BER), Quality (Q) factor, DWDM system, Channel spacing and Bit rate.
1. Brackett C.A. Dense wavelength division multiplexing networks: Principles and applications, IEEE J. Select Areas Commun., 8, 948-964 (1990).
2. Wagner R.E., Alferness R.C., Saleh AA.M., Goodman M.S. MONET—Multiwavelength optical networking, J. Lightwave Technol., 14(6), 1349-1355 (June 1996).
3. Goldstein E.L., Eskildsen L. and Elrefaie A.F. Performance implications of component crosstalk in transparent lightwave networks, IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., 6(5), 657-660 (1994).
4. Zhou J., O'Mahony M.J. and Walker S.D. Analysis of optical crosstalk effects in multi-wavelength switched networks, IEEE Photon.Technol. Letts., 6(2), 302-305(1994).
5. Hill K.O. Fiber Bragg grating technology fundamentals and overview, J. Lightwave Technol. 15, 1263-1276 (1997).
6. Liu F., Pedersen R.J.S., Jeppesen P. Novel 2x2 multiwavelength optical cross connects based on optical add/ drop multiplexers, J. Photonics Technol. Lett. 12 1246-1248 , (September (9)) (2000).
7. Neves Jr.P.T., Kuller F., Marconcin C., Kalinowski H.J., Fabris J.L., Pohl AA.P. Experimental and Simulation Analysis of unbalanced Mach-Zehnder Fiber Bragg Grating OADM, SBMOIEEE MTTS International Conference on Microwave and Optoelectronics ISBN: 0780393414, (2005).
8. Pedersen R.J.S., Jergensen B.F. Impact of Coherent Crosstalk on Usable Bandwidth of a Grating-MZI Based OADM, IEEE Photon. Technol. Letts.,10( 4), 558-560 (April 1998).
9. Mizuochi T., Kitayama T., Shimizu K., Ito K. Interferometric crosstalk-free optical add/drop multiplexer using Mach-Zehnder-based fiber gratings, J. Lightwave Technol. 16 ,265-275 (1998).
10. Melo A.M. de, Randel S., Petermann K. Mach-Zehnder interferometer-based high-speed OTDM add-drop multiplexing, J. Lightwave Technol. 25, 1017-1026 (April (4) 2007).
11. Andre P.S., Pinto A.N., Pinto J.L., Almeida T., Pousa M. Tunable transparent & cost effective optical add drop multiplexer based on fiber bragg grating for DWDM networks, In proceeding of Advanced semiconductor lasers &applications/ultraviolet & blue lasers & their applications/ultra long haul DWDM transmission & networking WDM components, Digest of the LEOS summer topica, (2001).
12. Peng-Chun Peng, Ching-Hung Chang, Hai-Han Lu, Yi-Tzai Lin, Jen-Wei Sun, Chang-Han Jiang. Novel optical add-drop multiplexer for wavelength-division-multiplexing networks, Optics Communications, 285, 3093-3099 (2012).
13. Kaler R.S., Kamal T.S., Ajay. K. Sharma. Simulation Results for DWDM Systems with Ultra-High Capacity, Fiber and Integrated Optics, 21:361-369 (2002).
14. Singh S., Kaler R.S. Wide-Band Optical Wavelength Converter Based on Four-Wave Mixing Using Optimized Semiconductor Optical Amplifier, Fiber and Integrated Optics, 25:213-230 (2006).
15. Singh S., Kaler R.S. Power budget improvement for long-haul WDM transmission with optimum placement of SOA's, Optik-J. for Light and Electron Optics, 119(7), 329-339 (19 May 2008).
16. Karfaa Y.M., Ismail M., Abbou F.M., Shaari S. Effects of crosstalk in an array waveguide grating add/ drop router on the performance of WDM networks, in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Telecommunications and Malaysia International Conference on Communications, Penang, Malaysia, 14-17 (May, 2007).
17. Singh S., Kaler R.S. Simulation of DWDM signals using optimum span scheme with cascaded optimized semiconductor optical amplifiers, Optik-J. for Light and Electron Optics, 118(2): 74-82 (2007).