© 2014 г. Supriya S. Patil*; V. P. Labade**; N. M. Kulkarni** and A. D. Shaligram***
*Dept. of Electronic Sc. Abasaheb Garware College, Pune 411 004, India
**Dept of Electronic Sc., Fergusson college, Pune 411 004, India
***Dept. Electronic Sc. University of Pune, Pune 411 007, India
Еmail: *firstname.lastname@example.org; **email@example.com; **firstname.lastname@example.org; ***email@example.com
Insitu monitoring of the state of charge (SOC) of lead acid battery is important to understand the residual electrical energy. Usage of battery reduces the charge content of the active electrolyte which in turn changes its refractive index. This paper reports refract metric fiber optic sensor developed for online monitoring of SOC. The sensor is designed in such a way that it can be easily fitted in any cell of lead acid battery. The SOC of battery is estimated from sensor output. The battery performance parameters of the battery such as terminal voltage, discharge current, amperehour, battery temperature, SOC and Depth of discharge using fiber optic sensor output of battery are monitored for given electric load. The data is recorded continuously by data acquisition card USB 6009 using Lab VIEW Platform. Concurrently specific gravity of active electrolyte is measured using suck type of acidic hydrometer. The set of experiments are carried out for different discharge current by varying electrical load and SOC of the battery is monitored. After comparing the results for SOC of the battery with the conventional methods such as coulomb counting, terminal voltage and acidic hydrometer, it is concluded that developed sensor output is direct measure of SOC of battery.
Key words: fiber optic sensor, state of chаrge of battery, lead acid battery, refractometric sensor.
Received by Editorial office 12.09.2013.
1. Anderson G.K. An Optical technique for in situ density determination in electrolyte solutions under hydrothermal conditions // International Journal of Thermo physics. 1997. V. 18. No. 3. P. 699–717.
2. Hancke G.P. A fiberoptic density sensor for monitoring the SOC of lead acid battery // IEEE Trans. 1990. P. 247–250.
3. Cortazar O.D. and Feliu V. A simple and robust fiber optics system for measuring the lead acid battery stateofcharge // Journal of power sources. 2006. V. 159. P. 728–733.
4. Jonathan D.W. Fiber optic refractive index monitor. Patent US № 6356675 B1. 2002.
5. Choudhari A.L., Shaligram A.D. Multiwavelength optical fiber liquid refractometry based on intensity modulation // Sensors and Actuators A: Physical. 2002. V. 100. P. 160–164.
6. Handbook of batteries. Edition 5.